Saturday 31 December 2022

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022)

I only saw a few movies in theatre in 2022.  "Everything Everywhere All at Once" was interesting and memorable, but weird.  "Smyra, My Beloved" would have been my actual choice for this year, although was technically released in 2021.


Avatar: The Way of Water


Which leaves us with "Avatar: The Way of Water", the sequel to James Cameron's ground-breaking "Avatar" (2009).  I never got a chance to see the first film in theatre, when it first came out, but enjoyed it when I finally saw it, a few years later.

My daughter, Sophia, is environmentally-conscious, and asked if I would take her to see the movie.  We caught it in IMAX 3D at Cineplex Cinemas in Ancaster, at the beginning of the holiday break, and both enjoyed it.

Cameron has gone on record to state that the John Carter and Tarzan stories of Edgar Rice Burroughs were a major influence on "Avatar", and as a Burroughs fan, I caught multiple references (including the source of the serum which stops aging).

The first part of the film was a pleasant return to the forest ecosystem of Pandora, but I feel that the second part dealing with its marine societies was better.  The culture of the reef people and ecology of the sea creatures were well-realized,

If I have any complaint about the film, it involves the similarity of the plot to the first film, with the unwelcome return of its previous villain.  I would have preferred new challenges, but perhaps these are being reserved for "Avatar 3".

No comments:

Post a Comment