Sunday 31 December 2023

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

Another year has come and gone, and I still haven't gotten back into the habit of seeing movies in theatre.  One of the exceptions was "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves", although the film came close to a boycott by D&D fans.


"Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves" (2023)


The reason for this was Hasbro's ill-considered move to monetize D&D's Open Game License (OGL), resulting in a destruction of the relationship with their fan base.  While the corporation eventually backed down, the damage was done.

Announcing this decision in the run up to the release of the D&D film was myopic in the extreme, but certainly worked in favour of the fans.  Who knows if Hasbro would have stuck to its guns, without the prospect of major collateral damage?

My old gaming buddy Joe and I got together to see the movie, a few weeks after its release.  We were pleasantly surprised!  They absolutely nailed the balanced mix of danger and humour that's part of every D&D game.

I saw it again a few months later, with my wife and our daughter, Eleni, on the small screen.  It held up well to a repeat viewing, and the two of them enjoyed it.  (My wife and I actually saw the original D&D movie in theatres, back in 1999).

Who knows what next year will bring?  The only film I'm really looking forward to is "Dune 2".  At this point, I see so few movies in theatre, I might start blogging on the ones I do see, shortly after I see them.  Anyway, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment