Wednesday 8 December 2021

Dune (2021)

After a difficult year for many, it was a pleasure to begin seeing movies in theatre, once again.  "Dune" had originally been slated for release in November, 2020 but was pushed back to October, 2021.  For me, it was the beginning of the end of the pandemic.


Movie poster for "Dune" (2021)


I remember learning as a kid that Frank Herbert's novel had been rejected multiple times before finally being published, which was amazing, since my friends and I considered "Dune" to be the science fiction analogue to Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings".

The 1984 movie adaption featuring "The Police" frontman, Sting was a mixed success.  Critics largely panned it, although Herbert was apparently happy with it.  I rented the film on VHS, and appreciated many of the visuals, but hadn't read the novel.

My cousin Louie is a big fan of the series, and kept after me to read it.  I finally did so, one hot summer, back in the late 1990s, when I was living in Montreal (the fact that I didn't have air conditioning really helped set the mood).

I never got around to reading any of the sequels, but imagery from the book stays with you.  I was therefore excited to learn that a new movie was being planned, and looked forward to its release.  I saw it at Ancaster Cinemas with my son.

The movie won his approval.  My cousin Louie, a "Dune" purist, also loved it, as did mainstream audiences.  I'm happy for director Denis Villeneuve that "Dune" was well-received, and that a sequel is in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment