Wednesday 1 December 2021

Dolittle (2020)

My "rule" for deciding my favorite movie experience of the year is to have seen that movie in theatre, the year of its release.  Only thing is, I never imagined there would be a year in which movie theatres would remain closed for months.


Movie poster for "Dolittle" (2020)


"Dolittle" wasn't my favorite movie of 2020.  As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, it was the only movie released in 2020 that I saw in theatre.  (I also saw "1917" with my son in January, which was technically released in December, 2019).

I read several of the Doctor Dolittle books as a pre-teen, and enjoyed them.  Dolittle is a physician and naturalist who can speak with animals.  (Hugh Lofting first conceived of the character in letters to his children while stationed in the trenches during WWI.)

My daughter, Sophia, wanted to see a movie one evening, and since I had seen the trailer a couple of times and had fond memories of the books, we just went and saw it.  Unfortunately, "Dolittle" is possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

How can you go wrong with Robert Downey Jr.?  He was a great choice to play Doctor Dolittle, (I also enjoyed Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes).  I blame the horrible script (the film apparently underwent re-shoots after poor test screenings).

I tried to catch "The Invisible Man" before the shut-down, but just missed it.  I wouldn't see another movie in theatre until the summer of 2021.  Fortunately, there were some pretty great films, released that year (to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment