Wednesday 5 May 2021

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

I knew that I would enjoy "The Last of the Mohicans" before I even saw it.  Based on the classic novel, written by James Fenimore Cooper, the story takes place in 1757, during the French and Indian War (about a hundred years before "Dances with Wolves").


Movie poster for "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992)


I went to see the film with my girlfriend at the time.  It was (and kind of wasn't) a date movie.  There's romance, but also a fair amount of blood and gore (somebody literally gets their heart cut out).  We broke up, shortly afterwards.

The soundtrack was amazing (the main theme is based on "The Gael" by Dougie MacLean).  During a trip to California the following summer, my friend and I played it repeatedly as we drove up the Pacific Coast Highway in a convertible, with the top down.

I saw the movie again with several friends at Ontario Place's Cinesphere.  It was an incredible experience on the 60 foot high screen.  (We were particularly impressed with Chingachgook's war club, and couldn't stop talking about it.)

Much of the action in the story takes place at Fort William Henry, on the south shore of Lake George in upstate New York.  I first realized this on a visit to Lake George with friends, while living in Montreal, but have never yet stopped there.

When my kids were young, I purchased the movie on DVD to watch with them, once they were old enough.  I still haven't gotten around to it (that one really gruesome scene keeps putting me off) but they're teenagers now, and have probably seen much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment