Wednesday 12 May 2021

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (1993)

When I was a kid, my older cousin had a small poster of Bruce Lee pinned up in his basement (above and to the left of their television).  Whenever I asked about it, he would make enigmatic statements about Lee's death.


Movie poster for "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" (1993)


"Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" is based on the book "Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew" written by Linda Lee Cadwell, his wife at the time of his death (although the movie has been criticized for taking liberties with actual events).

Nevertheless, the decision to include supernatural elements and over-the-top martial art sequences results in a look and feel very similar to the films that Lee was known for.  (In other words, I think he would have approved.)

I credit this movie for contributing to my fascination with California.  On a trip to stay with friends in San Francisco, back in 1998, I picked up a copy of the San Francisco Bay Guardian featuring Bruce Lee on the cover (which I brought back for my cousin).

I rented "Dragon" to watch with my wife, before we got married.  We were living in Montreal at the time, and made it a "theme" date, also getting dinner in Montreal's Chinatown, beforehand.

Sadly, the film is dedicated to the memory of Lee's son, Brandon, who died several weeks before its release.  Like his father, he was doing what he loved, making movies, and also like his father, he died too young.

No comments:

Post a Comment