Wednesday 10 November 2021

Wonder Woman (2017)

Ever since they were little, I would remind my kids that Wonder Woman was Greek (every chance I got).  In fact, she was the only member of the "Superfriends" who wasn't American (counting Superman as a naturalized citizen, of course).


Movie poster for "Wonder Woman" (2017)


My cousin Dina was a huge fan of the TV series starring Lynda Carter in the 1970s.  (I remember watching the pilot with my father in our living room at home.)  See also "13 Great Reasons to Watch the 1970s Wonder Woman Show - Ranked".

Finally, I was an avid collector of the 1980s run of DC's "Wonder Woman" by George Perez, which emphasized the Greek roots of the Amazon princess.  That's why I was so excited to see a big-budget Wonder Woman film.

Gal Gadot was a good choice to play Wonder Woman on the big screen (her pronunciation in the one Greek line was spot-on, by the way), and setting the action during WWII, as in the original season of the Wonder Woman TV series, was perfect.

However, the scene which really caused me to jump out of my seat?  When Steve Trevor says "British tea for the Germans, German beer for the British, and Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels for both" of course!  (You can check it out, here.)

Wonder Woman was originally created by psychologist William Moulton Marston.  I found the documentary "Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" (which I caught on a flight, pre-Covid) to be interesting, although somewhat disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment