Wednesday 3 March 2021

Greystoke (1984)

I discovered the Tarzan novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs when I was in Grade 7.  By the time "Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes" was released, I had read the first 10 of them (there were 24 novels published).


Movie poster for "Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes" (1984)


I also read Philip Jose Farmer's fictional biography of the ape man "Tarzan Alive!" (which I discovered in the actual biography section of our public library, not the fiction section, leading to confusion on my part...)

I remember how excited I was to see this movie on opening night, taping the full-page newspaper advertisement to the back of my bedroom door.  My father was supposed to take me, but something came up, and we couldn't go.

Since my father had to work the next day, "Greystoke" became the first movie that I saw on my own.  I purchased a popcorn and a large Sprite (almost choking on it during the scene in which one of the African explorers gets shot in the chest with an arrow).

Even though the second half of the movie wasn't faithful to Burroughs' original story, it was still the best Tarzan movie I had ever seen.  The versions starring Johnny Weissmuller depict a totally different character from the one in the novels.

Years later, I learned that Andie McDowell's voice was dubbed by Glen Close, and screenwriter Robert Towne, dissatisfied with the movie, insisted that his dog "P.H. Vazak" be credited with the screenplay (which earned an Oscar nomination).

No comments:

Post a Comment