Wednesday 17 February 2021

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

I was in Grade 8 when "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" came out.  My friend Joe saw it first, and it was all he could talk about during recess, one day.  (In fact, Joe pretty much covered the entire plot, by the time recess was over.)


Movie poster for "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" (1982)


Unfortunately, certain elements were lost in translation, and I somehow got the idea that Elliott actually becomes an extra-terrestrial.  When I saw the film, I kept waiting for Elliott to transform, and was really confused when he didn't.

As had become our habit, my mother brought us to see the movie with my aunt and cousins.  It was standing room only - literally (we couldn't find enough seats, and so took turns standing at the back of the theatre).

One of the cooler things was the scene showing the kids playing a role-playing game.  This was supposed to be D&D in the script, but Gary Gygax refused to allow the game to be mentioned, out of concern that it might be confused with gambling.

Another neat bit of trivia is that Harrison Ford was originally featured in a cameo as the school principal, although much of that scene was eventually cut, so that only the back of Ford's head is seen.

E.T. is one of those movies that I haven't viewed again since I saw it in theater as a kid.  It's strange that I didn't even rent it for my own kids, when they were little.  Perhaps I should go back and watch it again, some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment